Thursday, September 13, 2012

Endeavor to persevere...

Today I am in what you would call "query hell." If you are a writer, I'm sure you have been here.

My question is: does anyone know how to get out?

I've been trying to polish my query all day so I can submit it for GUTGAA tomorrow. As of now, it doesn't look like I'll be hitting that send button tomorrow morning.

I have four versions of my query letter. I start out loving each one, then, like a boyfriend who forgets to wear deodorant, the infatuation quickly wears off.

Today I have spent going through and reading the queries that made it into the pitch polish segment, hopoing to get some ideas and inspiration. There are some very good ones. There are some that, well, let's just say I feel pretty good about my writing when I read them. And many that show promise but are probably not going to have agents beating the door down, contract and pen in hand.

I thought I snagged some winning ideas from a couple of them. Yet, each time I open my query document and type something--anything--I instantly abhor it. The words just refuse to travel from my brain to my tapping fingers, or more likely, refuse to form at all. This should be easy for me. I have a great story (well, I think so anyway), great characters, great name, yada yada yada. And, I spent years writing ad pitches for magazines and radio spots. Normally I can do this in my sleep. But today I suckie suck suck!

Usually, I would just take time away and come back with a fresh, and hopefully better attitude and a functioning brainpan tomorrow. Works almost every time. But time is running out...I have to have it ready to hit the send button at 8 am tomorrow (I'm on Pacific time).

Will I make it?

Can I do it?

Will the Dodgers win the World Series?

Which came first, the chicken or...well, never mind. You get the idea. All questions with no clear answer.

I know many of you are here in the trenches with me today. Maybe if we yell loud enough someone will throw us a rope.

And if not, well, we'll get through it. Endeavor to persevere. That's what writers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!